Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Sidewalks & The Walking Life

Amy´s Entry...

You have to love a city that is eliminating a lane of traffic in order to widen the sidewalk. Truly. There is gobs of construction on Monjitas (the next street over from ours) to do just that. More room for café tables, street vendors, and us – the pedestrians, the senores peatones.

If I drove a car I might think differently, but since I walk practically everywhere, often with two boys acting out Power Rangers in tow, I love it. I must say I haven’t missed having a car one tiny bit. Really. $82 a barrel for oil doesn’t impact me, and there’s no strapping kids into carseat, no traffic to fight.

It is hard to haul home many groceries, but it’s quicker to walk to the Montserrat supermarket around the corner here then to drive to the nearest Kroger at home. So I make almost daily trips to the store, and it seems everyone else does, too. We’re all shoppers, everyone on the street with at least one shopping bag in hand. Here´s a picture of one of the great walking malls.

I rarely go out without picking up something – a newspaper, a liter of milk, fresh dobladitas (my favorite bread treat here). It’s a strange combination – all the calories I’m burning by walking so much are balanced out by the snacking I’m doing with the ice cream or pastries I pick up while I’m out walking!